Thursday, May 29, 2008

Blog Review & The Temporary Bachelor

Welcome to all the recent visitors from around the world in the countries of Costa Rica, Guam, France, Saudi Arabia and South Africa, as well as the readers from the US and Canada. "Welcome back" to all the regulars too. It is great to have so many who stop in to check out my blog. Thank you all so much! I have recently registered on "blogged", and my blog is now open for independent reviews by my readers. If you wish, you can go to the review site, click on "review" and set the rating you think is appropriate. If you're up for it, it will just take a few seconds but if you wish, you can also add a review.

As for my upcoming book, "Three Seconds On, Three Seconds Off - Volume I"; it is still in the cover-design phase. I am anxious and excited but I'm working on Volume II while I wait. I sure enjoy writing! I also look forward to resuming the creation of my fiction novel, "In Ravenscrag's Shadow". It is 100% outlined and about 25% written. This summer I plan to create a few photographs for it. In November, if I can wait that long, I plan to finish it. (You can read a "first draft" excerpt from the novel at the above link.)

A week ago, my sweetheart left me for some much needed time with her parents. Diana's mom has been fighting lymphomatic cancer for about three years now, and the doctors are amazed that she is still alive. The disease is progressing, but thankfully it is slow and Mom can still do much. She suffers from serious heart problems and kidney failure too - as if the cancer were not enough. It seems that sad times overtake us all! Two summers ago, we all met for a giant family reunion to celebrate Diana's parent's 50th wedding anniversary. It was a great time for family memories and I'm grateful we could all make it. It is an 1800km+ drive from our house to theirs, so the trips are not as frequent as we would like, but we keep in touch often by phone. I am blessed with a great mother & father-in-law - and I'm grateful.

I miss Diana like the taste of fresh air, but I'm glad she could go anyway. These next two weeks will pass - hopefully quickly, and Diana and I will be reunited again. Then, our three weeks apart will be but a fleeting, painful memory and Diana's precious memories with her parents will linger on and an. The loneliness of bachelorhood is not at all a welcome companion, but I'll make it. When I think about the thousands who are off in some war-time pursuit, at school or work - all for extended periods of time that make my three weeks seem minuscule, I feel a new respect for them and wonder what right I have to whine. Sacrifice of one kind or another is just part of life. Perhaps I need to take the advice Wesley gave to Indigo (The movie: Princess Bride), "Get used to disappointment!"

5 comments:

Sabine Berlin said...

Thanks for checking out my blog. Most likely this week I will write an update on both my books. My first is still out in agent land as a partial and a few queries. My second is a fairy tale retelling.
Best of luck to you and your wife, My father passed away from Lymphoma 13 years ago. It is a tough one to battle. I hope all goes well for you.

Jewel Allen said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I wish your family the best. My dad had chemo and is now undergoing radiation for a thymoma and so far his spirits are mostly up. It's been a challenge but also has brought our family closer. It's great your wife can spend time with her family right now.

Davis L. Bigelow said...

Your words are very kind. I'm sorry that you both have first hand experience with cancer. Sometimes life can be so very tough!

Unknown said...

Good luck with the book in the middle of the publishing machine. Good luck with the book your writing. And yes, it is so hard to be separated from the one you love, but it's all worth the day they come home.

Autumn said...

I feel your pain with your other 1/2 missing. Life isn't the same and seemsw to drag on more.

Happy reunion coming though... :)

I'm anxious to see what the cover of your book looks like! How exciting!