Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Three Hymn Medley - Musical Arrangement by Davis L. Bigelow


Hey Everyone,

It's great to talk to to you again! About a month ago, I decided to try something that was totally out of my comfort zone... I decided to take three hymns from the LDS Hymnbook and combine them into a medley, under one musical score. It took a while, but I finally did it - and I even like the result! If you like it too, I think the files are large enough for you to print your own copies.

I thought to perform this arrangement as a solo, but our Ward choir director is considering using it as a choir piece in church, so I am waiting my turn. If the director doesn't decide soon, however, I'll just have to go for it. In case you're wondering, the musical score I used is from the Hymn "Should You Feel Inclined to Censure".

These hymns are a bit soul-searching. They are definitely religious, so if that sort of thing offends you, you may want to escape while you still can.

As a young boy, growing up on Pointer Island Lighthouse, Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy was a favorite song - go figure. Dad was a lighthouse keeper for 27 years and our small boat was often at the mercy of powerful winds and cresting waves. I well remember Dad whistling the tunes to many sacred songs as our hull pounded along and the salt-spray flew around us. There were plenty of times when I wondered if we would survive the tempests, but we always did. Those whistled hymns offered comfort that even now is beyond words.

Now I'm not a very publicly religious person, but I do have a deep and abiding knowledge that there is a God and that His Son came to earth to create the possibility of my returning to God when my life here is over. In the interim, however, I know that the Lord expects me to do the best I can to behave myself and to serve others as He would. Sadly, I have not always done my best, but I struggle along - even getting it right every once in a while. I am especially grateful to know that when I pray, as I often did as a boy in peril, that the Lord still hears and He still answers.

Now for those of you who are still reading this post, I hope that inspiration visits each of you in your times of need. I hope that like me, you will find comfort. I hope that like me, you will find answers to your prayers.

No comments: